Try this recipe for fall-off-the-bone perfection.
About This Cut:
Short Ribs are ribs taken from the plate cut, located at the bottom of the rib cage. They are smaller than Spare Ribs, and typically have a slightly lower fat content.
Thaw meat slowly overnight. Roast slowly or braise and grill. In this recipe, we slow-cook the ribs in a crockpot.
- 2-2.5lb. Bar 3 Grass-fed Short Ribs
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Red chili flake
- 6 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 2tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 cups of water
- 2 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce
- -‐Start by heating your oven to 300F.
- -‐In a large sauté pan, turn on to med‐high heat. Add 1tsp of olive to pan, and then sear short rib chunk for 30-60 seconds on each face of the portion of meat.
- -‐Take meat out of pan and let sit. Now to make the cooking liquid.
- -‐In a blender, combine salt, pepper, red chili flake, garlic cloves(peeled), Dijon mustard, and 1 cup of water, reserve the remaining water for later. Blend until garlic is smooth, should be a fairly watery liquid with a light tan color.
- -‐Place the rested short rib in a Pyrex pan, or roasting pan deep enough to fit the whole piece of meat.
- -‐Then pour garlic spice liquid over the short rib.
- -‐Then pour the two cans of tomato sauce over the short rib and garlic liquid. Then add the remaining two cups of water. Stir around the meat to make sure all three liquids are combined.
- -‐Be sure the braising liquid level covers up at least 90% of the short rib, the liquid will reduce as it cooks so if you need more liquid to raise the level just add more water.
- -‐Cover Short Rib pan with foil.
- --Put into the 300F oven for 4‐5 hours or until the meat literally falls off of the bone, by using a fork to delicately shred it.
- -‐Serves well over your favorite pasta, or mixed into a baked sweet or regular potato!